Timely administration of medicines in hospital is essential, but it becomes urgent when patient’s condition progresses or medical intervention, like surgery, implements. However, it always takes a lot of time and employs a tremendous amount of manpower to deliver the medication from central pharmacy to wards. In order to solve this problems, pneumatic tube delivery system, to transport medication (First Day Doses of Prescriptions) between pharmacy and wards or departments, was upgraded by combining RFID and bar code tracking systems. This intellectualized pneumatic tube delivery system has replaced most of manual transportation of medication. Medication delivery currently becomes quick, accurate and cost saving.
Through the combined cooperation with pharmacy, nursing, information, biomedical engineering systems and other systems, the intellectualization of medication delivery was accomplished as followings:
- Simplified the process of medication delivery: Processes are simplified from 6 steps to 3 steps.
- Increasing the efficiency of drugs delivery:
- The waiting time for orderlies receiving drugs has reduced 63%.
- The time drugs delivered to wards from pharmacy has reduced 60%.
- Due to the convenience of practicing system, about 75% of drugs delivery through pneumatic tube can be done, improving the efficacy of system use grows up to 37 times higher than before.
- The comprehensive drug delivery can reduce about 6.5 labor cost, keeping the cost down and save about 2.34 millions NTD per year.
- The delivery of medicine is trackable, reducing the frequency of following up for medicine from crew in wards.
- This system can be remote controlled to get rid of errors and reduce the repairing calls.
- Staffs Satisfication : Nurse： 80%, Orderlies ：92%.
Agency name：Yiwei Electronics International Ltd
Contact person：James H. Tso
Tri-Service General Hospital